Wyverndale
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Find Steed and Go!

2 posters

Go down

Find Steed and Go! Empty Find Steed and Go!

Post by Admin Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:04 pm

Riding to the North western town of Orlane takes about 2 1/2 days. From a distance the town of about 300 looks as welcoming as any. A temple to the patron of the harvest is clearly visible from the hills outside of town.  However the surrounding farms appear either abandoned or are inhabited by a few unfriendly farmers who are more than obviously hostile towards the idea of conversing with a stranger.  The small elvish manor which sits just south of the town bears the iconography of the Mantis clan. Though in good repair, it appears to be recently abandoned. A meal sits moldering on the table, livestock wanders the manor yard and in the clan shrine  the lavender incense only used on midsummer night still  lingers in the air. A smear of dried blood is noticeable by the back door.

Your approach did not go unnoticed and after an hour or so investigating the Manor several horsemen arrive from the town. The leader (Grover Ruskadal) claims to be the local sheriff and loudly proclaims that outsiders are not welcome snooping around here. He speaks loudly as if he is unsure you are alone and is speaking to all who may be present.  He states that you are welcome to stay at the Golden Grain Inn and await the return of the "crazy old elf" or be on your way.

Admin
Admin

https://wyverndale.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Find Steed and Go! Empty Re: Find Steed and Go!

Post by ShintetsuSaito Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:28 pm

Saito will go to the inn as they suggest, but first he'll ask them if it's okay if he cleans up the house first.

ShintetsuSaito

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:26 am

(Ive given you a 12 on any necessary rolls - proficient skill checks are largely successful. Unskilled ones are typically not)

Looking at your ceremonial dragon clan armor for a moment Grover sneers "Don't look like a chamber maid to me....be on your way." (Persuade- at least they didnt try to arrest you)

The golden grain is a two story inn near the west side of town its door is directly across a square across from the harvest temple. When you enter the cozy common room is largely empty except for 3 males each drinking alone at one of the six tables. A Kron plainsmen with buckskin clothing (perception:a pair of hand axes at his side) and two of guardsmen dressed in the colors of the watch of Shattered bridge sit in silence with blank expressionless stares. They get up almost in unison and leave the inn full tankards gather flies at each of their tables.

The Innkeeper Bertram cheerfully welcomes you and states I'm sure Elam~fle will be around to collect you shortly -word travels fast in such a small town. Questions regarding Elam are accounted by "Yes you Eladrin are odd folk." A fine tasting brandy is offered "on the house."

(History : Eladrin is an archaic term you wouldnt expect from a small town innkeep)

Are some cursory exploration of the town (you are somewhat shunned and eye contact is avoided) you return to the Inn for the evening. Upon your return several farmers (again drinking in silence) get up in unison and leave. During the night your trance is interrupted by sounds of a group gathering in the corridor. Several clumsy farmers with clubs and a burlap sack (presumably to secure you in) are easily driven off despite your blade's imbalance. You are able to prop the bed against the door for uninterrupted rest.

In the morning the Inn keep is surprised to hear of the event saying he slept soundly and the other guest did not complain. He offers another brandy along with a hardy breakfast...again "on the house."

About mid-day Elam -Fle appears in spotless (New?) robes. A slender figure of an elf with fine features though deep smile lines hint at a pleasant and mirth-filled personality. His long silver hair is gathered into a loose ponytail and tiered back behind his unadorned robes. He walks slower than expected almost at a shuffle. He readily accepts a sherry from the innkeeper and sits a an empty table by the fire. He is of course the first person you have ever noticed entering the inn while you were present. As a paragon of the ideals of the mantis clan of course he speaks in perfect formal elvish accent.
(Translated of course)
"It is always such a bother to deal with the problems of such mundane creatures, but you noble sir in your splendor, you are worthy of my time...What is it I can do for you?" He brings the crystal glass to his lips but does not drink places it beside him and stares at you expressionlessly.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShintetsuSaito Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:05 pm

Saito does not drink anything offered to him by these people after last night. He stands and bows to Elam-Fle and says (in elvish) while bowing, "It is a pleasure to meet you. My name is Shintetsu Saito and I apologize if my presence has inconvenienced you in any way." Saito sits down and resumes. "A vision from my ancestors has sent me to this place. I have committed an act that requires atonement, and atonement is said to be found here. I have forsaken the ways of the Mantis and turned my back on those in need. I must absolve myself of this sin for the good of my family and ancestors. Can you help me with this in any way? I will of course do anything I can to help you as well."

ShintetsuSaito

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:09 pm

With the appearance of great concentration the priest responds to you in (history trained) archaic accented elvish. "Yes perhaps there is a way we can assist each other. To the north there is a shrine in a wood touched by the fey. This shrine holds a scroll that I would find very useful in freeing you from your burden. Bring it to me and we shall free you from these chains.  Beware! A foul serpent with feathered wings, inhabits the wood. It is a cunning hunter and cannot be reasoned with. fortunate that it announces itself as it sheds a pale light as it moves through the forest. Do not speak with it lest it twist your mind to its own intent for it only seeks to purge the world of all who would enter its wood. The gods are cruel to have created such a beast. Now I must retreat to consider my duties. Upon your return you may ask for me here and word will come to me as Orlane is a small place. I wish you luck in achieving your atonement and if you should fail at least you will not suffer for it." A bead of sweat trickles down he forehead and he turns with a flourish and leaves.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShintetsuSaito Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:24 am

Saito bows silently and reverently as Elam leaves. He is wary of this elf, but tries to hide it. Mounting his trusty steed, Saito heads towards the forest, unsure of what he will find there and what he is supposed to do. He will make no attempt to mask his presence as he makes his to the shrine.

ShintetsuSaito

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:34 pm

The wood is easy to find. Ancient stands of sequoias create a canopy where streams of sunlight provide enough light to guess the time of day though the sky is only hinted at. Dense ferns cover the ground and birdsong fills the air. At times one can hear the a distant giggle on the breeze. Butterflies of all colors dance between deep blue orchids known only in the Thornwood forest. Here in the far western extends of the woods there seems to be none of the renown horrors that make travelers lend it a wide berth. Still an uneasy feeling overcomes Saito.

A rush of the ferns nearby gives him a start and he finds his hand on his sword. All around him the sound of children laughing erupts from the ferns as he looks about the forest. A rush of wind silences the laughter and suddenly 20 yards from him the feathered coils of a massive serpent rises from the ferns and its pale blue eyes meet Saito's gaze. Its wings unfold and spread wide, its feather scintillating though unnameable gem-bright hues.

"You have the stench of the abyss on your soul but rest easy Eladrin for I have known you would come to me."

"The spirits of your ancestors have served me well enough and sent you to me. Your broken Honor is of little use to me though I can release you from your geas should it serve the greater good. "

"The shugenja Elam-fle has forsaken his commitments and tried several times to take that which does not belong in the hands of mortals. you have spoken to him and no doubt have been charged to commit such crimes yourself. I can abide this no longer. My vision is clouded on his plots so you must be my vessel and punish these transgressions and then build a shrine in Omikami's name at the edge of the wood and I will release you from your geas."

The great winged serpent does not wait for an answer, perhaps because it believes its demands are irrefutable. As a fleeting thought of a response crosses Saito's mind the Couatl dissolves into a thousand butterflies which are carried on sudden zephyrs to all corners of the woods. Slowly the forest's laughter returns and Saito reminded of the mischievousness of faeries must decide to press on or exit thornywood.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShintetsuSaito Tue May 01, 2018 5:34 pm

Saito is going to return to the town and talk to Elam-Fle. Before he enters the city limits, he gets down off his horse and dirty's his armor and face. He tries his best to make it look like he did battle with something. Returning to Elam-Fle, Saito attempts to trick him into thinking he had to fight the serpent and lost. Saito then tries to get Elam-Fle to return with him to the wood, so they can confront the Serpent together.

ShintetsuSaito

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed May 02, 2018 3:51 pm

While Saito considers his plans on the edge of town he sees a family packing its meager belongings from a run down homestead into a wagon and with livestock in tow heads south on the road to shattered bridge. He watches them ride into the distance and before they cross the horizon he sees a group of men leave the temple of the harvest and go to the house. Anything of metal is collected and brought to the blacksmith's yard and left. then the gang heads to the golden grain and enters.

Saito uneasily tries to stage his deception (yet another stain on his honor) and enters the town. The folks on the street avoid him. He enters the golden grain and finds it empty save for the Innkeeper Bertram who remarks its nice to finally have a customer today and offers some cherry blossom tea. Accepting the offer (but not drinking any) Saito asks to send for Elam. Bertram however states plainly that he doesnt know who that is despite Saito observing a friendly interaction previously. Additional questions seem to be making very little headway though Saito cant detect any subterfuge on the part of the portly innkeep.

"Heading to the fairywoods are you? Should I save your room?" inquires Bertram. Saito realizes that Bertram would have no way of knowing his intentions. "Perhaps... "he trails off and almost absentmindedly takes a sip of the tea before stopping himself.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShintetsuSaito Thu May 03, 2018 12:53 am

Saito asks Bertram, "So what do you know of the fairywoods? I've heard some rumors about the place. What's supposed to be in there?"

ShintetsuSaito

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon May 07, 2018 10:11 am

Bertram looks nervous and averts your gaze. A sudden calm comes over him you seem to detect a momentary silvery sheen to the white of his eyes though it may only be a trick of the shadows from the fireplace. " Troublesome faeries. They steal children it is said. Mostly the woodcutters stay clear of those wood preferring the west forest despite its flooded stands. It says something that they withstand the withering mosquitoes, wet boots and foul smell rather than then venture to those open woods. eh?" Bertram's last syllable is more of a gasp than an inflection though he quickly takes a sips of water and with a slight tremor  places his glass down. "Planning on going to the reach then sir? I'm sure you'll be more than a match for any faeries. I'm sure the woodsmen would rejoice if you were able to slay or drive off the fey. Make things a great deal easier on them."

Last edited by Admin on Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShintetsuSaito Fri May 11, 2018 1:11 pm

"And what of Elam-Fle? What it his position? What does he do for your town?"

ShintetsuSaito

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue May 15, 2018 2:01 pm

Bertram nods "Elam, yeah keeps to himself that one. Not many of your kind in these parts these years right? Mean no disrespect but I imagine if it werent for your haunted halls you'd forget about this place entir...." a sudden pang appears to interrupt Bertram mid-sentence and he clutches his heart. He looks away quickly "Ohhh must see the harvest maiden bout that, yep more of her special tea fix me right up well.... You want to leave a message ere for the elf? You seals safe with me sir...I assure you." ((you have doubts Bertram -or most in the village could read common script much less elvish ))

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ShintetsuSaito Wed May 16, 2018 4:26 pm

I'll hand Bertram a note to give to Elam-Fle. The note says to meet me at the farmhouse I first came to when I arrived in the village this evening. As I pass the note to Bertram, I touch his hand and cast protection from evil on him, because I fear he may be possessed by something.

ShintetsuSaito

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum