Wyverndale
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Over The River And Through The Woods, To Daria's Grove We Go

+2
MaruChan
Liqcrys
6 posters

Go down

Over The River And Through The Woods, To Daria's Grove We Go Empty Over The River And Through The Woods, To Daria's Grove We Go

Post by Liqcrys Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:24 pm

She shifted the large pack on her shoulders, trying to ease the discomfort on her back. They trudged through the undergrowth, passing through the forest as quietly as possible. She felt the clumsiest of the group, like her footsteps were hammer blows ringing through the trees. The eladrin slipped with a natural ease through the tightly packed boles and Maru was a shadow, only seen in glimpses through the branches. She wasn't completely ill at ease in the forest though. Skills she had learned on dark, nighttime raids in the Thornywood hadn't completely left her. To Daria's grove..

They had crossed the river without incident. No hobgoblin sentries were seen. She kept staring into the surrounding trees, trying to pierce the foliage with her eyes to find hidden watchers. Corvid is unlikely to have left this place unobserved. She carried her bow, hoping that its use would be unnecessary. Joff caught a flash of reflected light from Maru's axe. Gods be good, may whatever scared him off be gone. Shuiske's description made it seem likely there was some ward on the place. She thought it likely that Daria had established some arcane protection over her grove and shrine, and this is what had chased them off, but it was possible more maleficent beings had gained influence in the forest since their time in the hells. Memories of other groves came to her mind. Spintax the Green.  A hedge wizard, living off the offerings provided to his shrine by the few other forest villages around his grove. The other hunters had been chased away from his little forest fiefdom, but Jenn Redwind was stronger than them. He had had some power, she still bore the scars across her back and belly from the thorny spikes he had shot from his hands at her, but he had died the same as the others, his blood spilling across her hands as she slit his throat. She shook her head to dismiss the memory. That was the past. This is a different grove. Joff continued her march, eyes scanning the forest for any trouble.

Last edited by Liqcrys on Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liqcrys
Liqcrys

Back to top Go down

Over The River And Through The Woods, To Daria's Grove We Go Empty Re: Over The River And Through The Woods, To Daria's Grove We Go

Post by MaruChan Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:09 am

Maru tried his best to be careful heading to Daria's grove, the last time he was here something happened to him, something he couldn't explain. He knew of the spirits, the forces that guide magic, but he was not skilled at warding off those attacks. He should have been focused on his surrounding, focused on protecting his companions, his friends but whatever happened the last time he was here had him slightly shakened. 'Do not fear' Maru could feel the wolf call to him, 'Do not fear, and i won't abandon you' Maru stops for a moment, takes a deep breath and summons the wolf from within. The wolf was a portion of his soul, the purest part that didnt second guess or faulter. Maru looked down at the ghostly wolf, its edges seemingly flowing and wafting like an early morning fog off of the pure lake.
"Watch over us as we pass through this place, and protect us from spirits that would look to harm us"
The wolf gives a small nod and heads out in front of Maru eyes sharp and focused on the path ahead.
MaruChan
MaruChan

Back to top Go down

Over The River And Through The Woods, To Daria's Grove We Go Empty Re: Over The River And Through The Woods, To Daria's Grove We Go

Post by ShintetsuSaito Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:49 pm

Feeling somewhat bored on the trip to Daria's grove (if it is indeed still her's), Saito decides to count how many squirrels he sees. He's up to 12.

ShintetsuSaito

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:59 pm

The underbrush surrounding the grove has grown impossibly thick in the five winters since you have been here last. The tall trees of the grove form a wall which obstructs all view past 10 feet from the edge of the woods. The canopy far overhead shifts subtly in the breeze causing a rustling as if the trees are whispering to each other. A dread sense of foreboding is the first wall of defense. As you walk through the underbrush avoiding thorny vines the heady aromas of orchids assault your senses inviting you to lay down among the ferns covering the forest floor. What seems a quarter of an hour walking through the edge of the wood is revealed, to be only 10 feet from the starting point when glancing back to see Maru still hesitating at the woods edge. A simple protection spell from Shiuske seems to work wonders and the warding is bypassed.

You enter into the dappled light of the grove and the scents of pine and lavender overtake you. The sounds of crickets, cicadas and tree frogs flood the air. Fireflies of various colors blink in the trees above giving the impression of a stary night under the canopy. In the distance you see the grand pavilion made of rough hewn logs open on all sides to the wood. Despite being maybe 20 yards from the open plains you have a sense of being isolated deep in a primeval forest.

Inside the pavilion, a central shrine of living warped wood honoring the Godess of the forest grows through the ceiling. Faintly glowing stones of moss colored rocks adorn the altar. A melody carrying a familiar voice fills the air.

"Ahh friends much has occurred since your last visit" The disembodied voice comes from all directions at once. "The warding of the centerhall has protected my grove though not my flesh. The Godess wills that I maintain this shrine and so I do. The unseen have rejoiced that the war-blood have abandoned their camps and are already expanding coaxing the trees to return to guard the paths from the centerhall. But you have not come to discuss the gnomes nor pay your respects to the Godess... what is it you seek?"

A ghostly image of a serene Daria, monochrome and translucent blue floating above the alter of the shrine appears drifting on an unfelt breeze.

Admin
Admin

https://wyverndale.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Liqcrys Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:24 pm

OOC: HOLY SH*T! FORCE GHOST DARIA!

Joff looks to her companions. She has never been to this grove, but it brings back painful memories of others.While she has no doubt that Donatella would be helpful in the coming days, she doesn't feel like she knows Daria well enough to ask for Miz's return. Plus, it would put a huge crimp in her plans to start selling "relics of St. Donatella" to the local rubes if she would somehow return. Joff looks to Saito and Maru especially, to see how they approach this disembodied voice.
Liqcrys
Liqcrys

Back to top Go down

Post by varisik Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:10 am

Trailing far behind the others, taking his time, much farther than he needs to, enough even, to not be part of the group. Baern looks ahead, to this odd, mixed group of fellow warriors who have a very deep connection to Daria, one he is sure, he does not understand. They move as a group but seem so distant from one another in spirit. They must have faced great ordeals together to have affected them so greatly.

The plains warrior he understands. He is honoring his people and himself by protecting Wolfsboro. He is strong, agile and quick to action by his movements and demeanor.

The elven swordsman seems conflicted about something that he does not discuss and very loyal to the group. Observing everything and mindful of any action he takes, he must be quite a master with his weapons, never seeming to even rest his hands upon them, knowing he could strike at any foe, at the drop of a hat.

The other elf, a skilled master of the arcane, is quite upset at the loss of this Miz, a recent companion, who knew Daria as well. Frantic at times or maybe still too upset he seeks to restore the life of his friend, a lost cause in Baern's opinion.

Finally, Jof, quite adept at hiding her role in the group, moves lightly but swiftly very careful in her every step, barely leaving a trace in the woods. It is easy to see how they would work together.

He lights up as they move forward, recognizing it, despite the overgrowth. Watching as Shiuske tests and then moves through the barrier and the others following, he catches up to them quickly and steps behind them. Listening to Daria's voice, he smiles then let's his shoulders drop slightly, realizing that Daria, the young spirit that she was is no more and never again will seek his counsel or company. Although not a dwarf, he considered her a good friend of the family, for the short time that was her existence. Sixteen years was not long to one who had seen more than two centuries pass.

Stepping into full view of the others but slightly to their side so they saw him approach, Baern, reached to his belt pouch, and pulled out a thick cloth. Kneeling several feet from the spirit, he unfolded the cloth, revealing the ring with the simple insignia of Hironeous. Scraping away some of the leaves and debris, until he found soil, he placed the ring into it and recovered it, patting the soil down.

"Rest easy friend, I shall carry your memories, as my memories and share them with those who knew you. Be at peace now in nature. I will carve a stone just for you." He rises up, looks at the others and slowly moves back a few feet, watching what they do. It will be difficult to find what truly killed Daria but less of a challenge killing them, than seeking them out.

varisik

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:50 pm

The calm blue light of the figure shifts suddenly to violet thinly outlined in a faerie fire of red. A deep rumbling echoes through the forest as if every tree is cracking under the same strain. Faces of terrifyingly beautiful maidens push trough the surface warped wood shrine and sing chords of deep tones in the improbable language of the ancient forest (Slyvan.)

"Rest? Memories? What use have I of these things? I am life eternal! Go to the dawn and see the Brambles. The Goddess's avatar there spreads her influence wider with each day. When her forest meets this sacred grove I will release my guardianship and take my rightful position in the elder woods (woodspires.) The godess will reclaim her rightful influence until all know her mercy as was foretold when even the throne of roses were but children of the wood."

Slowly the figure shifts back from violet to the monochrome luminescent blue and she regains her melodic tone. The faces in the shrine slip back beneath the surface.
" My friends, do not fret. I have not passed beyond, I am not slain. I am ascending, I have been given a great gift. The faith of the hidden folk of the Meadstead has caught the notice of the Goddess and I have been blessed. Once the forest guards their homes the Goddess will grant me my own domain and I shall relinquish my mortality and truly be free. The forest is ready for sleep, your time with me is precious and fleeting what is it I can do for you? "

It is only when she stops speaking that you realize the dappled light dancing across the forest floor indicates the shifting of the sun. What seemed like only a short hike must of been several times longer.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by artisto16 (Shiuske) Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:35 pm

-Addressing the party-

[Shiuske translates the words echoed. While he notices the Dwarf, he feels no ill will and proceeds feeling that Daria had many friends seeking closure.]

Once we destroy Relsif's tome, we must return to see the Spirit of the Woods. Perhaps the evil that blocks her from reaching this place will be weakened, and the remains of that tower will crumble.

Doubt has begun to plague my mind about getting Miz back at the Temple of Heironius. She (her finger) is no longer with me. Sir Dwarf, will you join us on this quest? We will need someone who can fill Miz' shoes, someone who can keep Daria's spirit with us.

For Daria, and for Miz..... for myself, I want closure. This land belongs to the Spirit of the Woods, not those violent, dishonorable beasts.

-Addressing Daria's ghost-

[Shisuke places a sample of bio-luminescent moss and a twig of dark wood from Wajano's place on an alter, and pours water from the silver bowl on them.]

May the Spirit of the Forest reach this place to grant you freedom and transcendence. For returning Maru to us, and if Miz returns to us as well, I will see to it that your last request is fulfilled. Until we can return and guide the Spirit here, please protect this place.
artisto16 (Shiuske)
artisto16 (Shiuske)

Back to top Go down

Post by varisik Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:46 am

"I do not know this Miz you speak about, at least I was never introduced, nor did I hear about there battle prowess. When I spoke to Daria, it was more answering her many questions than asking about her companions. I am also quite sure by the looks of you and your travel companions, that my time with Daria was quite before any of your dealings with her."

"If Daria is at rest or soon to be and we can assist, then although I am not duty bound to do as such, I will help you as much as I am able. Is Relsif some dark wizard or such dark cleric of an even darker god? That we must destroy one of his tomes, will we have to seek him out in some fortress? In any case, I will accompany you and help where I can. My fellows are at peace now, the only task I must accomplish will be to take certain belongings of theirs and to tell their brave tale to our kinsfolk. The wretches that slaughtered them and that tried to end me are no more." his shoulders drop, resigned in the fact that his friends have passed.

"Where do we next travel?"

varisik

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:29 pm

Daria nods to Shiuske " Your sentiment is well received but unnecessary. I need neither rest nor transcendence, I am one with the life of the forest. As Sha'nar's power grows and her  realm expands to meet this coppice I will release this shrine to her and stake a claim for the goddess in northern lands. "
Her translucent color shifts slightly to violet  and the pitch of her voice increases until in ends in a thunderous shriek "The realm of the Goddess will grow and  will reclaim all lands from the great scar in the west to sunken kingdom of the north and beyond. The promise long made to the forest folk will be honored!"
You notice several diminutive figures approach from the forest. Forest gnomes in light green cloaks speak in unison "Your gifts overwhelm us." Daria regains her composure but continues in an oddly familiar narritive : " My friends, do not fret. I have not passed beyond, I am not slain. I am ascending, I have been given a great gift. The faith of the hidden folk of the Meadstead has caught the notice of the Goddess and I have been blessed. "
The gnomes gesture you to one of the massive trees just apart from the lodge. A hollow in the tree is revealed to contain a winding stair descending beneath the lodge. After a few score turns the stairway opens to a vaulted underground avenue. It is a village in miniature beneath the surface. The ceiling some 15 feet about you is adorned with carvings of the heroes of the gnomes.  One of the gnomes pulls back their hood to reveal striking blonde locks adorned with braids, feathers  and woven thread. "Welcome to the center hall of Meadsstead. As you can see the priestess's ritual had some interesting effects. our sheriff Dorechester  has asked that anyone speaking to her be brought in to meet him....." She gestures to Shiuske and  Saito "We used to shepard all of Wyverdale even while your kind forsook the goddess and built your fortresses and temples of order. I imagine someday you'll find the correct path back to harmony."
"Kess, that's enough!" A booming voice of authority fills the bustling square as a lean gnome the height of  kindergartner but with an aura of age and authority stands before you. "You cannot berate those whom you wish to ask favor of."

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Over The River And Through The Woods, To Daria's Grove We Go Empty Joff replies

Post by Liqcrys Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:59 pm

She whistled OneShoe Rambler's "Voyage through the Centerhall" (a comic epic about a drunken gnome's day of misadventure's trying to find the exit to a gnome village he was trapped in) as they descended the stairs. She had been surprised to see them here. North, in Brix, the small-folk made their presence more well-known. It was somewhat forgotten history that all of Wyverndale had been a great gnome kingdom before the eladrin hegemony had come. The eyes of the hidden folk are always around Mardoin had said more than once. Jenn had assumed she meant their enemies, but later understood she spoke of the gnomes, who still held some power over the land. A traveller would be very lucky (or unlucky depending on their intent) to find a gnome homestead ((OOC: "Gnomestead" is that a thing?)) if they didn't want you to.

Joff had been cautiously optimistic about their arrival. If nothing else, their appearance had distracted Daria's spirit from its tirade. She was relieved that all extant issues with Miz had been settled. The appearance of this strange dwarf had fallen to the wayside once the gnomes appeared, but she was suspicious. Wonder what dragged him from his hole. Nice enough armor, but smells like he's never washed the padding or himself, almost as if the armor never came off. Gold or a debt most likely.  As they had descended the stair into the tree she had kept any eye out for any other exits.  She knew that the gnomes could make leaving their village very, very difficult should they choose to. Joff anticipated that whatever request they had to ask, it wouldn't serve her purposes well. Not now, no. I'm so close. We must destroy the Tome! But I must use sweetness now, save the sharp words.

She stealthily moved to the front of the group. Joff turned her most charming smile in the direction of the booming voice and spoke in honeyed tones, "I hear the word 'favor', and 'favor' the small folk we do, but you have caught us in the first steps of an important quest."
She gestured to her companions, "Our quest is vitally important to not only our selves but all of Wyverndale. So I ask you to wait for now. Our paths don't meet with yours quite yet, but we shall return to Wolfsboro soon I'm sure. Perhaps then we can assist with whatever small 'favor' it is you need."
Liqcrys
Liqcrys

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:52 pm

"We know your 'Quest' you wordbond was made on our back porch." Kess interrupts the first echo of Joff's last syllable. Dorechester casts a glance at her and she bows her head. "Not in the streets, even here there are those that might seek to profit from the common good."

Most of the buildings are warped between the taproots of the forest above though a few skylights in the ceiling disguised as rabitholes as well as small chimneys and waterfalls allow some natural light to penetrate the streets. Many of the buildings are well worked stone though only the phosphorescent moss reveals vague outlines to those without dark vision. Dorechester keeps a small faerie light in hand for Joff.

After several turns you come to a moss covered building "The grand hall" remarks Kess as you enter. Grand doesnt describe it well though, perhaps imagine a half scale circular auditorium with glowing firepit in its center its ceiling some 30 feet above covered with the phosphorescent moss (or perhaps lichen.) A few fireflies dart about the room.

"PLease be seated" Dorechester asks though his request is friendly it seems more a command. " You are planning to go into the Chalk hills....I would like very much for you to deliver a package for me to Ernhiln. It should be but a half day off your route and likely the only warm bed you'll find south of the river. Ernhiln lies just south east of the bridge called Nos Kola in the phantom woods. All thats required it you take a small parcel to the oracle and she will reward you with the gift of three answers."

"A treasure to be sure!" Kess extorts then swiftly looks down as if that will parry any objection from the sheriff.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Liqcrys Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:30 pm

"You ask much and provide no answers," Joff said through gritted teeth. She refused to sit. The gnome's tone irritated her. Trying to keep a smile on her face she spoke, "You interrupt our journey without so much as a 'by your leave', take us hostage through your streets, and you have the gall to ask us to be your messengers, your servants. Truly the small folk are courageous, " she said with a rueful half-smile.
"Well I have many and more questions for you then , Dorchester is it? See how ungracious you have been, we don't even know your name. Well sheriff, or mayor, or high councilman, or perhaps its "Lord Protector of the Hidden City" or some other such grand title, here are my questions for you all."  
Joff bent over and gathered some small sticks from the ground. She stuck them into the ground and asked her questions, punctuating each question by touching the upright end of the stick and making it glow brightly.
"1. What is in the package? 2. What is Ernhiln? A village? a person? a ruin? another hidden gnome village? If that's so, then how will we find it? 3. Why can't you take it yourselves? The hidden folk are well-equipped and strong, what keeps you from making this journey on your own? 4. Who, or what, is this Oracle? Another woods witch with riddles? A magical entity? 5. You say the oracle will reward us with the gift of three answers. Is that three answers for each member of our fellowship? Or just three answers in total? It hardly seems like a 'treasure' for those of us who have no questions or don't get to ask any. And answers are easy to come by. Truth. Accuracy. These are much more precious and harder to find. 6. You say the Oracle will reward us, by I hear no mention of what YOU are willing to pay for this 'favor'? Again, may I point out that you have brought us here without our consent. "
Joff sighed as she continued. She touched the end of the seventh stick, causing its end to glow bright red. The cumulative light from the sticks' ends fully illuminated the hall. She spoke, "and 7. The most important one. WHY do you need it delivered by us?"

Last edited by Liqcrys on Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Cause grammar is important)
Liqcrys
Liqcrys

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:37 pm

"Watch your tone when addressing your betters." Kess's hand leaps to the hilt of her short sword ,though at a glance from diminutive sheriff she withdraws.

"You are the interlopers here. You forced your way past barriers which made it clear how unwelcome visitors were. Though the madness inflicting your acquaintance erodes your standing, the service your companions performed for her and for the village of goodheim brings you some influence in our realm do not spend it hastily before you know its worth."
"Ernhiln is the Center-hall of the Oracle. It lies in the western reaches of Bramblewood south of the river. While we could send a contingent to sneak across the lands ceded in your name (He looks at Maru) to the war-horde and then through their fortified bridge into the palelands before coming to the safety of the wood, your position as banner-men of sorts for Kovred makes the journey at least as far as the bridge simple. "
" As far as reward, if you prefer silver to service from the oracle, while surprising I believe I can speak for her and say that would not be a problem. Our package weighs a mere ten pounds. I am sure a 100 weight in silver (100 lbs of coins) could be arranged. No doubt kings of old paid prices far more dear for the Oracle's service. I would warn you that the package must not freeze however. Seems barely worth mentioning this time of year still in a contract one must be certain to dot I's and cross T's eh?"

"Should you agree, you will be provided directions to a landmark where the Ernhiln watch will meet you. Centerhalls do not remain protected by handing our directions. We are the hidden folk afterall."

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Liqcrys Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:04 pm

"Well that is something I guess, though I notice you still haven't answered the most important questions. What is the package? And I cannot speak for my companions as to reward or responsibility. They may be interested in the Oracle's services." Joff looked around questioningly at Maru, Saito, and Shuiske before turning back to the sheriff. "Again though, the question remains as to what is meant by '3 questions'. Is that three for each one of us, or just three in total?"

She turned to her companions, "What say you?"
Liqcrys
Liqcrys

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:04 pm

"Three for each! I suppose you want a throne as well? Perhaps we should raise the great sunken kingdom for you? This lot brings an army of the war-born to camp on our door then balks at serving the Shallimar's oracle lest they get paid more dearly than the hero's of old!" Kess' face is red with anger and her knuckles are white with tension on the grip of her dragon-bone dagger.
Dorecester whispers "Silence" and air and blue smoke rolls out from him like the last gasp of a wave as it crashes on the beach. The visual effect quickly recedes though a few moments of soothing utter calm is left in its wake. "If you cannot control yourself I'd ask you to retreat to the eastern watch and keep an eye on those warborne banner-men left behind. No doubt as an escort for our guests when they depart."
"We can send messages to the oracle easy enough but not all things can be told by words. She has asked for water from the Mother's pool and so we send it to her. Cant say why she wants it... something about balance and dreams but thats good enough for us to ask you to bring it to her. Its a small favor all things considered and I'd think you'd welcome a safe bed once south of the river but your business is you own. Either you'll help or you wont. It's sometimes best for mortals to stay away from fairy folk. We hidden? Well, some say we're part fey...its how we stay clear of your troubles. I'll let you discuss among yourselves make your self at home you'll be able to travel freely until the moon raises again. Once that happens you'll need another counter charm or Daria's enchantment might make you uncomfortable.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Liqcrys Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:14 pm

She passed her gaze slowly over the party, meeting her companion's eyes with a questioning glance. The human warrior turned to face the gnomes. She took quick notice of Kess's stance and position. She dismissed the female gnome with a withering glare ((Intimidation +6 directly at Kess, just trying to make sure she knows I think I can waste her with no problem, but she isn't worth the trouble)) and spoke in her politest tones to Dorchester.
"Thank you for those answers sheriff. That makes this a much easier discussion to have. Let me consult amongst with my friends."

Joff turned back to Maru, Saito, and Shuiske. She looked at the dwarf uncertainly, but spoke to all. "Well what do you say? Its on our way across the river and wouldn't delay us to long. As for payment, well the Oracle might be able to help us locate the tome safely and I'd be quick to ask at least one question of a more personal nature. Plus it might be advantageous for us to keep on the better side of the gnome-folk. Might help the folks of Wolfsboro if the gnomes thought highly of Maru at the very least. I vote we take the water to the Oracle and then proceed to destroy the tome."
Liqcrys
Liqcrys

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down